Johnny Depp and Tommy Hilfiger will be receiving accolades at the CFDA Fashion Awards in the US for their influential sartorial choices.
Depp and his quirky sense of style caught the eye of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, and the group will give him its fashion icon award at its annual gala in June.
Hilfiger is to receive a lifetime achievement award.
CFDA president Diane von Furstenberg and CEO Steven Kolb announced details of the awards ceremony Wednesday night.
The nominees for womenswear designer of the year, the biggest prize, are Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen for The Row, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez for Proenza Schouler, and Marc Jacobs.
“This year, as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the CFDA, we can see what a critical role the CFDA Fashion Awards continue to play in our efforts to promote American Fashion,” Kolb said in a news release. “This year’s nominees truly represent the important influence of American design. We look forward to once again honouring the best and brightest talent working today.”
Top contenders in menswear are Billy Reid, Patrik Ervell and Simon Spurr, and for the best in accessory design they are Alexander Wang, Reed Krakoff and McCollough and Hernandez.
The ceremony will be held on June 4 at Lincoln Centre for the Performing Arts’ Alice Tully Hall. Comedian Seth Meyers will be the evening’s host.
* Swarovski Award for emerging talent in womenswear: Chris Peters and Shane Gabier for Creatures of the Wind, Joseph Altuzarra, and Max Osterweis and Erin Beatty for Suno.
* Emerging talent in menswear: Antonio Azzuolo, Phillip Lim and Todd Snyder.
* Emerging talent in accessories: Irene Neuwirth, Pamela Love and Tabitha Simmons.
* Media award: Scott Schuman and Garance Dore.
* Founders award: Andrew Rosen.
* International award: Rei Kawakubo for Comme des Garcons.