For those of you with short hair looking to get those long, luscious locks for a one time occasion, or for those of you whose hair simply won’t grow, getting hair extensions is an option. But, what’s the honest to goodness truth about extensions? Are they worth it? Are they good for your hair? How long do they last? These are just some of the questions many of you may have, so we’ll go ahead and take a peek at some of the pros and cons of hair extensions!
Pros & Cons
Many women today use hair extensions for their wedding day – in order to get that perfect hair style or those lusciously long locks, you need extensions. The greatest pro about hair extensions is you don’t have to worry about taking months upon months to grow your hair out for your wedding day, prom, or any other special occasion. Plus, if you decide you want to go back to your short and sexy cut, you don’t have to worry about anything – just remove the extensions and you have the look you had yesterday! Also, if you get quality hair extensions from a higher end salon, like Salon Deauville, your hair extensions can last for about three months, giving you weeks of gorgeously long tresses. Another pro is they’re easy maintenance – you take care of extensions like you do your own hair. There’s no special treatment needed.
With every good thing there’s a bad side. Same goes for hair extensions. For example, even though hair extensions can provide you with immediate (well, hours verses months) length, they can also damage your hair and scalp. Because you’re putting an immediate amount of extra weight on your scalp, your scalp hasn’t had time to adjust to the extra weight and it can cause irritation. Also, extensions can damage your hair, depending on the type of hair extensions (we’ll get to types in just a moment) you choose. With hair extensions, you don’t have to wait months for the perfect length, but you are dedicating hours to the salon chair every few months to get them reapplied. It’s definitely not a short and sweet hair appointment – you can plan on spending up to eight hours in the chair. Here’s a big part – hair extensions aren’t cheap, whereas growing your hair out costs nothing. They’re an investment, but if it’s something you really want, than they’re totally worth it!
Different Types of Hair Extensions:
- Clip In’s: These are self-explanatory – you clip these to the root of your hair for immediate length. They’re the easiest and quickest, but not the longest lasting.
- Weave In’s: This is when natural hair is braided in a corn-row style; basically, these extensions are sewn into your hair
- Pre-Bonded Extensions: This is when the extensions are glued in with adhesives. It’s joined to the natural hair at the root.
- Tape Hair Extensions: These are, again, self-explanatory. These extensions are taped in on either sides of the hair for a perfect look. They’re not long lasting and great for a one-time deal.
- Micro Link Extensions: This is when the extensions are looped and clamped onto your natural hair.
Now that we’ve taken a look at the pros, cons, and types of hair extensions, you can decide if they’re what you’re looking for! If you want hair extensions, than make sure to schedule an appointment with one of our fantastic hair stylists here at Salon Deauville! Click here to to schedule your appointment!